Thursday, January 10, 2013

Putting a Pattern on for Rug Hooking and Punching

 
We have little workshops out at the house occasionally and with lots of new beginners I thought I would do a very simple tutorial on how to draw a straight of grain on to monks cloth you can also do this on linen or rug warp.
If you are going to do rug hooking then it won't matter the size of your frame or hoop but in oxford punch if using a frame with a gripper strip it is better to draw the pattern to fit inside the frame.
 
Here is what you will need to get started.  For the example I am drawing an 8 inch square.  You will need a sharp pencil, a ruler, serge or zig zag some monks cloth or linen (to prevent it from  raveling) and I use a Sharpie Rub a Dub marker.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I like to give myself plenty of room around the outside edge for binding so I leave a good 2 inches all around.
 
 
Take a good sharp pencil and place it at the top where one of your sides will be and slowly begin dragging your pencil down it will fall in the holes.
 
 
 
 
 
I pull the top just a bit to keep it good and taut as I'm dragging the pencil.
(sorry it's hard to get a pic and draw with one hand and hold it tight with the other)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once you get it all drawn on you will have a pencil outline. 
 
 
 
 
Next I grab my Rub a Dub Sharpie.
 
 
 
 
I pull the marker down right over where the pencil had been go slow...believe me it is easier after you do the pencil than just beginning with the marker.  (My son came by so had him take a pic for me)
 
 
 
There you go a simple square ready for a design.  I'll show you another simple way to add a pattern in another post.
 
I know a lot of you are very experienced hookers and punchers but for those beginning I hope this helps!
 
 
 
 
Oh and don't forget to sign up for the pillow giveaway in the previous post I'll announce a winner this Friday.  I had made two of them and guess who snatched up one to take home....I just can't resist those little hugs and smooches!
 
Happy Trails....Ginger
 
 

11 comments:

cucki said...

aww thank you for sharing dear..it is so easy..
big hugs x

kathyinozarks said...

thank you much for the tutorial Kathy

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Thanks for the post! It helps me as hooking is still on my lost to try!

Julee said...

Thanks for thinking of us newbies....I'm planning on giving this a try as soon as I finish couple of my quilt projects.

WoolenSails said...

We tend to think everyone knows how to do the simple things, but for someone who is just starting out, they have no idea about starting a pattern and straights of the grain, always good to have tutorials for the newbies.

Debbie

jennifer768 said...

Thanks for the tutorial!I admit to having a problem getting it straight.I wouldn't be able to resist that smile either.Hugs,Jen

TheCrankyCrow said...

Very helpful tutorial...I wish these things were around (or that I knew about them!) when I started hooking. I didn't learn about that "dragging the pencil" trick until I helped my friend draw patterns for her business. Awwwww...I would be able to resist that sweet smile! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Michelle~Sugar House Creations said...

Hi Ginger. I just bought myself an Oxford punch needle. What brand of yarn do you like to use?

Farm Girl said...

Very nice I always enjoy your tutorials. In fact I come back and go over them.
I always just grab the sharpie but I like your idea of the pencil. I never knew so I was really interested.
Thanks.

acorn hollow said...

I think it is helpful also I am looking forward to seeing how you transfer a pattern I have a hard time with that.
Cathy

Maria said...

Ginger, Great tutorial! Happy New YEar to you. Maria