Friday, August 2, 2013

Binding Can BE.......

Relaxing once you figure it out.  Now let me be the first to say I have tried all kinds of binding techniques and I have a couple of favorite ways.  One is with binding tape which I have found to be one of the most easiest once I learned how to do it.
I admit I once had a pile of over 40 hooked pieces needing bound all because I wasn't sure how to finish them without getting discouraged.
So I just kept on hooking and let them pile up.

This method I am using on this oxford punched rug does not use binding tape.  I simply just trimmed the monks cloth folded it in and sewed a simple running stitch to hold it in place and rounded the corners a bit with needle and thread.
 

 
Here is the backside of the rug.  See how it adds the look of almost another row to the rug.
I have another rug I need to bind and I will try to take step by step photo's of how to do this.  Maybe it will give you another option to binding if you have never tried this.
 
I am binding this with the same wool yarn I hand~dyed for the punching.  It is a 4 ply wool yarn and it binds it very quickly :)
 
Enjoy your weekend and take a few minutes to slow down in this busy world we live in and just enjoy the simpler things of life!  You will be glad you did :)
 
Happy Trails......Ginger

7 comments:

My Colonial Home said...

Glad you showed this technique - I just learned some tips on binding as I have done exactly what you have done. Work and stash! Now they need binding.
Thanks!
Karen

Jacqueline said...

I would love to see a step by step on your binding technique. Thanks I'll be watching for it.

have a great weekend

Jacque. said...

I always rather enjoyed binding my rugs...and now I bind my quilts. I've done the yarn wrap thing and do like the way it looks. Keep up the good work!

Farm Girl said...

I am always interested in how you bind rugs. Now that I have this stack growing on my desk I am going to have to fish or cut bait. :) I think having 40 to bind would be a little daunting for me.
The binding on this one looks great though. Enjoy your rest.

Rugs and Pugs said...

That lime green is just perfect for that rug! I recently bound a rug with wool yarn for the first time and I love the way it came out.
Happy weekend to you!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your hand dyed yarn looks amazing on this rug !
Beautiful.
Rose

HomeSpunPrims said...

The yarn is a pretty finish Ginger. Love all the mats in the previous post. You have been busy as always. Love you in the prairie dress! hugs, Lori