Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Reflecting Back



Sixteen years ago today I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at 9:02am. I was working as a nurse in a hospital and was caring for the patients that I had that day. The tv's were on in most rooms and the news of the OKC Alfred P. Murrah Building being targeted by a bomb was coming across the news. It was a sad day for our state as well as our nation.


The massive explosion caused 168 people to be killed including 19 children. Over 800 others were injured. What causes someone to do something so horrendous. So many lives were effected by this senseless act.

I know as long as this earth exists there will be those who decide to choose a path that is destructive but I also know that there are many more that choose the path of caring and kindness and isn't that a much nicer path to be on!

Happy Trails....Ginger

7 comments:

primitivebettys said...

Caring and kindness. Is by far better.

Farm Girl said...

My Dad was in the hospital that morning in Oklahoma City too. It was horrible for him and he was so sick and he was so upset. It seems so clear to me that I was surprised to see how much time had passed.
I kept saying to myself, Not Oklahoma City, you never expect something like that to happen there.
It was a horrible day.

Kim said...

I remember that day too. Mom and i were on a little side trip for a few days and I was glued to the TV in the hotel room. Such a senseless tragedy.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Strange how these tragedies are like landmarks in our lives. I was home, having my house painted, and the guys doing the painting were all inside glued to the TV. The youngest of them was the most upset and wanted to go home to his little boys. I remember every detail of the day. I never understand these things. How could anyone ever think that an act like this could make the world a better place???? Thank you for the reminder today to do SOMETHING good and caring and loving for someone. I CAN do that!

Jacque. said...

Thank you for remembering.

moosecraft said...

I remember this day too... I could never understand why someone could justify ending the lives of so many innocent people "just to make their point" Life is so very precious.... we should never take a minute for granted...

julieQ said...

I too was working as a nurse in my hospital that day...my friend and I gathered in a empty patient room and just watched in horror at the unfolding events...