Saturday, April 10, 2010

Super Simple Half Square Triangles


Oh it's a beautiful Saturday morning here on the farm. I've got the windows open letting the house air from a long winter. Last night I pulled out some fabric to start a little mini quilt for an online retreat our group "AAPG" from ebay will be doing next weekend and thought I would show you some simple little steps for making half square triangles. It's really the easiest and fastest way I have found.



First pick two different fabrics and cut out your squares....mine just happen to be 3 inches. Then draw a line from corner to corner on the wrong side of the fabric of one of the squares. This will be your guideline while sewing.




Next place the 2 squares together right sides of fabric facing each other and with a 1/4 inch foot sew together as pictured above.


I like to chain stitch all of mine together and cut them later. Once I finish one side of the square I then stitch on the other side using the same line as a guideline.



Next you will use the line as a guide to cut them apart.



Just press and there you go half square triangles. Your on your way to making lots of different quilts.


Happy Trails....Ginger

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Be careful... these are addictive...

WoolenSails said...

I love doing them this way, makes it simpler and more straight. Great when you are doing a lot of them.

Debbie

Terri said...

That does look easy - thanks for sharing the technique!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this tip,,I'm going to have to try this. I have so many new things I can't wait to try.
Blessings,
~Ronda~

Deb said...

I use the same method and it works great. I have used Thangles too, but I think I prefer this method!

moosecraft said...

Thanks Ginger! Looks like something I can handle! Love the fabrics you are using!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Thanks for showing Ginger! I see a woman at the hookin's doing it this way but by hand and not machine. Love it!