Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Getting Started With Punchneedle for Beginners



Have you been tempted to try punchneedle but not sure about how to go about it? Here is a few little tips to get you started. First I must say I prefer the Cameo Punchneedle. I have several different types of punchneedles but Cameo is my absolute favorite. If you have good tools that you are comfortable with it does make the process so much easier.

Here is what you need.....a punchneedle, a threader that will come with your punchneedle, a small pair of scissors, weavers cloth (which is a tightly woven cloth and can be found at Wal~Mart or most fabric stores), a lip-lock embroidery hoop, or a gripper frame like used in rug hooking, and embroidery floss.



You can purchase pre~printed designs or you can just draw your own. If you don't have a lightbox to transfer your pattern to the weavers cloth just use a window with the sunshine it works just fine. I usually use a fine tip sharpie for drawing on my patterns. Oh yes, make sure you draw your pattern on in reverse because you will be working on the backside of the punch. It is really important if you are doing lettering or numbers.

Once you have your pattern transferred you will want to put your weavers cloth into the lip-lock hoop or onto the gripper frame....here again I do prefer the gripper frame but the lip-lock hoop will work just fine. Now comes the important part get that weavers cloth DRUM TIGHT. Don't distort your pattern just keep working it until it's tight.

Decisions ~ Decisions......now do you want to do your project in 3 or 6 strands???? Most of mine are done in 6 strands. When I do a 3 strand project I put my needle setting on a #1 loop setting and for the 6 strand projects I put the needle setting on a #3. This is by no means a have to issue....sometimes I change things up for flowers, fluffy bunny tails, and such.

For today's sake I used a 6 strand method on a #3 setting with a Cameo punchneedle using a medium size needle. I use the med size for 3 and 6 strands....it works great for either.



Your needle has a bevel side. I am right-handed so I punch from right to left keeping the open bevel side facing to the left as I work. When I come to a place where I need to turn I turn my frame or hoop still keeping the bevel facing to the left.



As you punch go all the way down to the point the barrel of the cameo is touching the weaver's cloth. Punch all the way down each time. As you come up just barely scratch the surface of the weavers cloth and go down right next to the last stitch punched.







Notice how the barrel of the punchneedle is all the way down this will make your loops the same height on the opposite side.




This is how you want your loops to look on the finished side. Even and no weavers cloth peeking through.

There is more tips for sure but hopefully this will get you started. I'll try to post a few more tips soon.

Happy Trails....Ginger

14 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thank you for this Ginger! I've always wanted to learn how to punch and do rug hooking... maybe now's the time!
I'm very excited to look into this further!
Blessings, Kimberly

primitivebettys said...

Awesome tutorial! :) You are so great to share your knowledge with everyone.

Unknown said...

Thanks, I had wanted to try but couldn't seem to find clear instructions. this has helped
take care
Kim

Shelley said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Great instruction - enough to make me want to try this. Thank you!!!

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

THANK YOU Ginger!!! I have all the stuff to needle punch, so I can't wait to try again. Julie

Terri said...

Great tutorial! Thanks so much!

Jenny Carter said...

I have been wanting to try it. I am starting hook rugging, right now. So, when I am finished with that first project I am gonna have to come back and look at your tutorial again...wow thanks for sharing!

Christine said...

Every time I come here I want to make something! These are so cute! I have your sweet gifts on my end table and I love them! I always grab that little pillow and smell it! It really smells yummy!

Rosemary said...

Thanks for the info!
I have been wanting to try this but have yet to find a needle here in WV.

I guess I will break down and get one off of EBay!

Great job,
Rosemary

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Thanks Ginger, I'd love to try this, seems quick and I think Jo Ann's sells the weaver cloth.
Thanks again,
Rondell

Terry said...

You did a wonderful job explaining Ginger. I sure wish someone had illustrated a 'how to' when I first started out.
I love my cameo punchneedle too.
Terry

KKJD1 said...

Thanks so much for the tips I hope to try punchneedle soon! Hope you have a great weekend! Blessings,Karen

kornkribprimitives said...

Ginger,
thank you so much for the wonderful tips. the pictures are a huge help too. Bless you for sharing.
Blessings~ Linda

Anonymous said...

What am I doing wrong? Every time I try to punch I make holes, not loops, the thread just comes right out!