Friday, June 5, 2009

Moon Pies & A Bit of Rug Hooking!



Here it is Friday again and it's been one lonesome week. Sloan has been gone all week visiting with his other Grandma and I've been missing lots of sweet moments... but from what I hear he's been having a good time.

I brought a big ol' box of Moon Pie's to the shop and the guys have been enjoying a tasty treat this morning...of course I enjoyed one, too!

Did you know that the Moon Pie has been around since 1917? Here is how it got it's name...a traveling salesman for Chattanooga Bakery was visiting a company store that catered to the coal miners. He asked the workers what they might enjoy as a snack. They said they wanted something for their lunch pails that would be filling and taste good. When asked what size the snack should be, a miner held out his hands to frame the moon and said, "About that big!" With that idea in mind, the salesman headed back to the bakery where he noticed some workers dipping big graham cookies into marshmallow. He thought this looked like a good tasting combination, so he added another cookie for the lid and covered it with chocolate. When he took a batch of samples for the workers to try, the response was so enormous that the "Moon Pie" soon became a regular item for the Bakery.

What a great name for a simple treat!

I finished up a rug yesterday and since I'm setting at work today with not much to do I thought I would start up a new one! I needle punched this guy last year for the State Fair Of Oklahoma and thought I would give him a go in a hooked rug. Looks like this afternoon I should be able to pull a few more loops.

Gotta locate my work gloves too. My sisters, brother-in-laws, and all the kiddo's have a work day planned tomorrow over at Mom & Dad's which should be lots of fun and well be celebrating my nephew's 16th birthday so that means cake and ice cream!

Wishing each of you a fun Friday!

Happy Trails....Ginger

7 comments:

primitivebettys said...

Your Jack is looking pretty sweet! And, of course, the moon pies sound sweet! Haven't had one of those in ages!!!!

Mary said...

Ginger, what a dapper little pumpkin man! I'm sure it's been a quiet week without your little buddy. At least it sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. How I wished my sisters lived closer. Your family gatherings sound like so much fun!! Enjoy...

WoolenSails said...

Ginger,
He is wonderful, love it. I have never done shapes in rug hooking, but might give it a try one of these days.

Debbie

Rugs and Pugs said...

Ginger ~
Your pumpkin guy is just too cute ;-)
Have a fun, productive day at your mom and dad's.
Lauren

Beehive Needleworks said...

Beautiful blooms! It is quite grand becoming lost along the garden path. Wishing you a fine day!

OldeAnniePrimitives said...

Give me a Moon Pie and grape soda anyday and I'm a happy camper!!

LOVE that rug! Beautiful work! ~~Annie

appleberrycottage said...

I LOVE the pumpkin rug! I could see it as a punch needle, too. I've been thinking of fall items, too, but prefer to work on summer/garden crafts!
Laura