Sunday, July 27, 2008

~*Frame or Hoop*~ for Punch Needle


Gripper Frames





Lip~Locking Hoops

Recently someone asked what do I prefer a frame or a hoop for my needle punch projects. Hands down....I love to use the gripper frames. They will keep my weavers cloth drum tight and I'm not having to pull and tug and retighten like I do when using the hoops.

Now don't think that the hoops won't work for you because they will. You just have to make sure that you keep them drum tight and your punch needle projects will look just the same.

There has been times when I started a project on my frame and the frame simply wasn't large enough for the project I was working on so to finish off the project I placed it in a hoop and finished it right up. Oh ~ what a difference between the two...so guess what???? I bought a larger frame. I have several sizes of frames....6 x 6, 12 x 12, and 14 x 16. Most of the time I have several projects going at once. I have to tell you I use the 12 x 12 the most!

You can also buy the frame on a stand and some of mine did come like that but I like working without the stand. These frames are also great for wool rug hooking!


A word of caution if you use the gripper frame it is SHARP!!! Those gripper strips will stab you if your not careful. Now alot of people use stretchy covers over them to protect their arms. You can use the wide stretch headbands for the smaller one or simply just sew 2 of the headbands together for your larger frames.


This is my 12 x 12 frame and and you can see I have several projects going on just inside this one frame. This is the working side of the project. You can also see those prickly gripper teeth sticking through my weavers cloth.




On this side you can see the front of the projects and just how the loops are coming along.
I have to say that I'm just a little bit addicted to needle punch so the frames are the choice for me. Either way you choose to punch is fine just have fun!

Happy Trails....Ginger

4 comments:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Thank your for this informative lesson on frames. I began my first needle punch project yesterday. I'm already hopelessly addicted. I've already drawn 3 more patterns just waiting me when this one is done.

I do believe I will like the gripper frame as well. Oh the things I'll have for my Christmas wish list this year! LOL

If I may ask ~ what will your projects be when completed? Will that large kitty be a doll? Will you mount the 2 kitty folk piece?
And what are all those lovely textiles behind your work?

Your work is just so lovely. I am inspired.

Blessings,
Lea

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Lea~
I am finishing up the kitties and 2 will be dolls with clothes. The smaller kitty may be a bowl filler or pin and the long piece with the 2 kitties will probably go on a wood box to store little things.
The textiles behind the frames is a scrappy quilt and a toothbrush rug made from cotton fabric strips.

Lea ~ I'm glad you found the world of needle punch it is so much fun! There is so many different ways it can be used.
:)Ginger

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I too enjoy punchneedle. So far, I have only used hoops, but would really like mto get some frames one of these days.

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Thanks Ginger!! Love your blog!